Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)The system where I store backups and archives failed. I needed SOME way to access the data on the 300GB drive that was there. Did not have time or inclination to troubleshoot the system, so elected to try Nexstar LX external enclosure. In use for about a week now.
Installation - could not have been easier. Manual is comprehensive and includes photos that could be better, but are adequate. Includes screenshots of software setup with explanation of each screen. Step-by-step was good and complete. Nothing missed, nothing left to question. Space inside the enclosure is TIGHT. But, there is enough room to install the drive and route the cables. One photo illustrates exactly how to fold the data ribbon so it fits snugly and neatly.
Functionality - GOOD thing: Includes a USB 2.0 port so you can use it like a normal USB external drive. Plugged it in, powered it up (ext power supply) using the (another good thing) power switch. Stood right up under WinXP Pro SP2 WITH NTFS formatting. So I was able to grab critical backups and data and temporarily move them to a drive on my system. Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/)was great here. When that was complete, used the tray icon to remove the drive and power down. Removed USB cable and installed network cable. NOTE: While powered down, I made a point of entering the NexStar LX MAC address in my router MAC Address Filter table. This IS NOT covered in the docs. So if you have any peculiar network settings, like this, the docs do not address them.
When I turned on the drive, I followed the instructions to open a web browser page and enter \\storage on the url address line. Opened up the login dialog box for the configuration pages. Not really much to do here. I DID try exiting after I completed to see if it would recognize the NTFS formatting. It would not. So I had to re-enter the NexStar config utility and format the drive. Took a couple of SECONDS for a 300GB drive so guessing it was a "quick" reformat. I used the included SMB Server screen to create folders. Again, could not have been easier. Just to experiment, I password protected one. Still VERY easy.
USE - With folders created I was ready to start using the network to copy/move files to the NexStar LX drive. I set up shares on the systems on my network to use the folders on the NexStar. Easy, worked very well. I used Beyond Compare to copy files from folders on my internal drive over to the Nexstar and to check that everything is the "same".
I'm pretty much ready to settle down to normal use. In fact I manually did weekly backups on a work notebook last night and it was like using a shared drive in my desktop for the backups. The folders were recognized, backups moved along swiftly and everything worked as advertised.
NOTES - When I was using the USB connection, the fan was so loud, I was sure I would need hearing protection to be in the same rooom with it. I'd read about this in other reviews. I removed the cover to see if that would help. It did not. Of course, I had to move the case around to change from USB to Network cables connection. After I did that, it's been whisper quiet. The case is plastic. I was a little leary of this. But it's sturdy and not really "chintsy". VERY nice finish (I have a black case). I wonder if I did not shift something around when I moved the case to unplug USB and connect CatV that may have been rubbing the fan. Now it is no louder than the SimpleTech USB drive next to it.
If it continues to perform as it is now, I'll be very happy with the solution.
Addendum: 03 Nov 06 - I originally wrote this on 26 Aug 06. Since then, the NexStar LX has performed FLAWLESSLY. AND, it's very quiet. I left the default setting to let the drive sleep when not in use. So when I first access the drive there is a momentary delay while it spins up. Once it does, it runs just fine. I am backing up several different categories of files (my shareware library, MP3s, images, etc) almost every night of the week with Cobian. This is the combination I dreamt about. I could not be more pleased. I could not recommend it higher.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Vantec P N:Nst-375Lx-Bk 3.5 Usb 2.0 Nas Enclosure Ide To Ethernet W Fan Black
Capacity meets flexibility with the NexStar LX from Vantec. Transforming any standard IDE hard drive into a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, your files become easy to store and even easier to share. Now you can access movies, music, and photos from your entire network as well as from anywhere on the internet. With its USB port, the NexStar LX can also be used as a typical enclosure where a network is not available. No matter where you are, the NexStar LX will keep your data within reach.
0 comments:
Post a Comment