Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)Review by Auri Rahimzadeh, Author, Hacking the PSP, www.hackingpsp.com
I've been using an FVS318v1 for three years now. The system just keeps working. I bought a second as a spare, just in case, and have never needed it. While the VPN capabilities are a little outdated.
I haven't noticed any performance issues with the router. It comes with a 10/100 switch of decent quality, although nothing on the order of a "top-shelf" Cisco router. The interface is clean and easy to use, without many of the fancier bells and whistles available even on lower cost units.
So why do I use it? One word: Reliability. Unlike less-expensive routers, especially compared to the solutions from Linksys, the FVS318 just keeps running and performing to expectation. Really, that's all you can ask of a router/firewall solution. Other consumer/home-office routers I've owned have died within six months of install, especially Linksys products (even moreso after their Cisco purchase, which doesn't make much sense to me). Netgear's newest VPN solutions haven't fared well in my tests - their VPN Firewall 25 failed within two days of purchase, and their gigabit switch failed on me within a week.
It's a disturbing trend in the industry that products appear to be built to last for only a short time, only to be replaced by yet another, likely unreliable model. At least Netgear's prior generation of products continues to be reliable, and affordable at the same time.
Pros: Steadfast reliability. Easy to use interface.
Cons: Some useful features missing, like SNMP and traffic meter capability. No VPN client included ($40 from Netgear, but the software conflicts with Cisco's VPN client).
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.
Click Here to see more reviews about: NETGEAR FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall - Router - desktop
this item is in really great shape...easy to install
Click here for more information about NETGEAR FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall - Router - desktop
0 comments:
Post a Comment